We recently wrote about what you should do to make a good impression on a first date. But what about what you shouldn’t do? You may ask why this advice is needed for over 60’s? Basically, if you are out of the dating game it’s easy to forget. Knowing what you shouldn’t do can be equally as helpful, and so we have compiled a list of 8 things that you should avoid when you head out with someone for the first time.
- Don’t drink too much – It can be tempting to have more than a few drinks to quell your nerves, but if you imbibe too much you’ll seem sloppy and uncouth.
- Don’t forget your manners – Old fashioned manners are still a signifier of good taste and good sense. Be polite and friendly!
- Don’t forget your personal hygiene – First impressions are always the most important, so make sure you brush your teeth, load up on deodorant, and wear clean clothes.
- Don’t forget to ask them questions – When you’re nervous, it can be easy to prattle on and talk over your date. Take a deep breath, and remember to ask them questions about their life, hobbies, and interests.
- Don’t negatively comment on their choice of food – If they’re ordering something you don’t enjoy, or that you find weird – keep it to yourself. Judging someone’s food choices is a bad move on a first date.
- Don’t talk about your ex! – You probably know this rule, but as you talk about your travels, interest, and past experiences, you’d be amazed at how easily your ex can creep into the conversation.
- Don’t bring up marriage or kids – Even if you have explicitly mentioned marriage and kids on your dating profile, the first date is never the time to bring these subjects up.
- Don’t expect them to pick up the bill – It’s always a great idea to split the bill and pay for half of the cheque, or for one party to pay for drinks while the other pays for the meal.